Welcome to the Rice University History Department! We are a community of scholars and students passionate about studying the past in order to help us understand our contemporary world. In the History Department, Rice students learn with accomplished scholars in small classroom settings. Our faculty enjoy teaching, and many have been recognized with awards for exceptional teaching. The skills learned in history courses—how to sift through enormous amounts of information, how to read texts critically, how to write effective prose—are broadly applicable to many fields and careers.
Students who love history and who want the freedom to explore the past widely should consider majoring in history. Gifts to the department from alumni and friends offer history majors opportunities for travel and research. An honors program allows students to conduct original research and to write a thesis. The director of undergraduate studies is Lisa Balabanlilar.
The graduate program accepts exceptionally motivated students who are interested in studying the history of the America South, the Atlantic World, Latin American History, the Middle East, Trans-national Asia, and the U.S. and the World. It has been ranked in the top 25 History graduate programs in the nation. The unique dual degree program with the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) allows students fluent in Portuguese the opportunity to study in Brazil and to earn a second Ph.D. Graduate students fluent in Spanish can earn the same dual degree with our Mexico program with the Instituto Mora. The director of graduate studies is Jim Sidbury.
We are also pleased to announce the new undergraduate journal The Rice Historical Review. This journal is run, edited and published completely by undergraduate students.
Alida Metcalf, Chair
Rice History Blogs
- History Professor, Aysha Pollnitz, Wins Royal historical Society's Whitfield Prize for best book in British and Irish History
- Rice Graduate History Program Ranked #1 in 2016
- History Professor, Kerry Ward, appointed as one of two new Editors for the Journal of World History
- History Professor, Lisa Balabanlilar, Wins Rice's Top Award in Teaching
- Mapping Rio from Rice: The ImagineRio Project
- Exciting News! Rice Undergraduate Students Launch New Journal: Rice Historical Review!
- Rice University History Graduate Ranks in Top 25 Graduate Programs in the Nation
- Professor Emeritus Albert Van Helden Awarded 2016 LeRoy E. Doggett Prize in History
- Past News