Tani E. Barlow
Email: tb5  rice.edu Phone: x2269 Office: 321 Humanities
- Ph.D. University of California, Davis, 1985
- M.A. University of California, Davis, 1979
- B.A. San Francisco State University, 1975
Areas of Interest
- Modern Chinese Intellectual History
- Feminist Theory
- Gender and Social Science
Research and Teaching
Professor Barlow is accepting advanced graduate students in the field of Modern Transnational Chinese history with an emphasis in late 19th and early 20th century media and consumer culture. Applicants should demonstrate interest in the digital humanities. Those with capacity to handle data sets, image analysis, cultural theory and business history particularly welcomed to apply.
- The Modern Girl Around the World, co-edited with Madeleine Dong, Uta Poiger, Priti Ramamurthy, Lynn Thomas, and Alys Weinbaum (Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 2008)
- “Asian Women in Reregionalization,” special issue, What is Left of Asia, Hairong Yan and Dan Volkovitch, eds., positions 15.2 (Fall 2007)
- “In the Event of Women.” Book manuscript in progress.
| Cinema and Desire (2002)
|| The Question of Women in Chinese Feminism (2004)