John B. Boles
William P. Hobby Professor of History
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: X5546 Office: 502 Fondren
- Ph.D. University of Virginia, 1969
- B.A. Rice University, 1965
Areas of Interest
- U.S. South
- American religion
Research and Teaching
Dr. Boles offers two graduate seminars in the history of the U. S. south and also directs a large number of Ph.D. students in that area. After 2011 he will no longer accept new students, but he will continue to offer his seminars and serve on the committees of graduate students directed by other members of the faculty.
- Seeing Jefferson Anew In His Time and Ours, co-edited with Randal L. Hall (University of Virginia Press, 2010)
- University Builder: Edgar Odell Lovett and the Founding of the Rice Institute (LSU Press, 2007)
- A Companion to the American South (Blackwell, 2007)
- The South Through Time: A History of an American Region, rev. (Prentice Hall, 2004).
- A University So Conceived: A Brief History of Rice, rev. (Rice University Press, 1997).
- The Irony of Southern Religion (Peter Lang, 1994).
| University Builder: Edgar Odell Lovett and the
Founding of the Rice Institute (2007)
| A Companion to the American South (2004