The Dual Degree Program in History
Rice University and the Instituto Mora
For further information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Dual Degree program at Rice University offers qualified students in the Ph.D. program in history a unique opportunity to earn a second Ph.D. in history from the Instituto Mora in Mexico City.
The agreement between Rice and Instituto Mora allows qualified Rice Ph.D. candidates to study for a year at Mora and to write a co-supervised dissertation and qualified Mora Ph.D. candidates to study for a year at Rice and to write a co-supervised dissertation.
The main points of the Dual Degree are:
- graduate students complete all coursework in their home institution and pass all required examinations (comprehensive exams, language exams, etc.) before applying to the dual degree program
- graduate students admitted to the dual degree program will spend from one year to 18 months studying at the host institution
- Rice students in the dual degree program will be funded with an additional year of a graduate student stipend from the Dean of Humanities. Instituto Mora students will be funded by fellowships from CONACYT
- each university provides a full tuition waiver
- the dissertation written in language of the home institution and an article-length summary of the major findings of the dissertation will be written in the language of the host institution
- there will be one defense, accepted by both institutions, held at the home institutions that will be attended by five committee members, including the two thesis advisors (one from the host and one from the home institution)
- before the single defense, the article-length summary of the major findings of the dissertation will be presented at the host institution, in that language of that institution
- an annual seminar will be held to accompany the dual degree program, and it will rotate between the institutions
The Dual Degree program seeks to train bi-lingual scholars of the highest caliber while offering opportunities for participation in seminars, conferences and professional development.