The Department of History is proud to announce the Ira and Patricia Gruber Fund for Undergraduate Research
This fund supports, among other things, independent research projects carried out by history majors under the supervision of department faculty. Typical forms of support include reimbursements or advances for travel to an archive to do research, or to a conference to present a paper.
Here are the rules:
- You must be a history major
- You must have already taken a HIST 400-level course, or be currently enrolled in one.
- You must have already taken a course with the supervising faculty member, or be currently enrolled in one.
- If the proposed research is to be carried out during the academic year, you and your professor should arrange it as a HIST 300 course (Independent Study), for the appropriate amount of credit.
Exceptions to the above rules require approval of the Undergraduate Committee.
The application deadline is May 15th.
Please provide these materials for your application:
- This form needs to be filled out in full and returned (either by email or in person) to the history department coordinator. The form includes: a statement of the reseach planned (including any monuments, libraries, archives etc), and a detailed budget of anticipated expenses. Feel free to consult with the History Department Coordinator about how to create a budget.
- A letter of support to be provided directly to us by your supervising professor
The History Department Coordinator will receive your applications. Funding decisions are made by the Department Chair, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, and the supervising professor.