All single manuscripts must be submitted via ScholarOne for publication consideration.
To submit a new manuscript, please visit ScholarOne, create an account, click the “Author” tab, and select “Start New Submission.” If you have difficulty registering or submitting your manuscript, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are no longer accepting new submissions on Editorial Manager. Revisions, however, may still be submitted there.
Manuscripts must adhere to the positions style guide or they will not be considered for publication.
Reference style: from the start of volume 25 (2017), positions' style has changed to in-text citations with full reference list. Use endnotes (NOT footnotes), but only as indicated in the positions style guide: see "Documentation" section.
General: All manuscripts must be
– text size 12 point (preferably Times New Roman)
– double-spaced, including quotations, endnotes and reference list, and
– blinded: they should contain no references to the author's identity, including in the notes or the file name
Names: Authors are encouraged to use their own preferred format names. But Asian names referred to in published articles will appear family name first, given name after—Mao Zedong. Exceptions may be made only if an individual is widely known by the alternate, family name last, format—Jackie Chan.
– use Arabic numerals for endnotes
– number pages at bottom right hand corner of the page
– do not number sections/headings
Images: if there are images in your paper, when you submit your manuscript you must also submit an initial submission permissions log; you need only apply for permission once the paper has been accepted. See Permissions log below for instructions.
Always provide images as separate files in a graphics file format eg tiff or jpeg. DO NOT embed or paste them into the essay's Word document or in a separate Word document.
Where the image is to appear in the text, on a new line place a "call out" in the Word document eg <place FIG 1 here> in the manuscript and put the captions at the end, after references and notes. In addition, refer to each image where it is discussed in the text eg (fig. 1) or (see fig. 1).
– Upon first appearance, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean terms and phrases in the main text are presented in the following form: transliteration + original characters + (English translation).
– The original characters are not required for titles, terms, and phrases in other languages that do not rely on the Roman alphabet, but their inclusion is strongly encouraged.
– All entries for works in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean in the References present the title in the following form: transliteration of title + title in original script + (English translation of title).
For more information and examples see the "Translations" section of the positions style guide.
At manuscript submission you should also submit an initial submission permissions log, including the basic information about each image: item name/label, brief description, source and placement notes. Note, however, that you need only apply for permission if and when the paper is accepted for publication.
Authors need only apply for permission and complete the full Journals_Permissions_Log (Excel file available from the positions office), after acceptance of their paper. In the Journals_Permissions_Log you will find:
– instructions for use
– sample permissions log
– a blank permissions log where you should enter the information about your images
Please type into both these documents rather than writing by hand.
Note: Obtaining permissions is solely the author's responsibility. Authors need only apply for permission after acceptance of their paper. Forms and Guidance are available from the Editorial Office at that stage. Permission may also be required for text excerpts and epigraphs.
– Fair use or International Equivalent
– Public Domain or International Equivalent
– Permission Secured
– Author Created