Areas of Interest:
- Islamic history and culture, 7th-15th centuries
- History of architectural preservation in the Middle East
- Jews in the lands of Islam, Cairo Geniza
- Creating Medieval Cairo: Empire, Religion, and Architectural Preservation in Nineteenth-Century Egypt (The American University in Cairo Press, 2007)
- A Mediterranean Society, vol. 6, with S. D. Goitein (California, 1993)
- Ritual, Politics, and the City in Fatimid Cairo (SUNY, 1994)
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive (co-PI). The Travelers in the Middle East Archive (TIMEA) is a digital archive that focuses on Western interactions with the Middle East, particularly travels to Egypt during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.