Rice University and the Universidade Estadual de Campinas
The Dual Degree program at Rice University offers qualified students in the Ph.D. program in history a unique opportunity to earn a second Ph.D. in history from the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP). The program seeks to train bilingual scholars of the highest caliber while offering opportunities for participation in seminars, conferences and professional development.
The agreement between Rice and UNICAMP allows qualified Rice Ph.D. candidates to study for a year at UNICAMP and to write a co-supervised dissertation and qualified UNICAMP Ph.D. candidates to study for a year at Rice and to write a co-supervised dissertation.
The main points of the Dual Degree are:
- graduate students complete all coursework in their home institution and pass all required examinations (comprehensive exams, language exams, etc.) before applying to the dual degree program
- graduate students admitted to the dual degree program will spend from one year to 18 months studying at the host institution
- Rice students in the dual degree program will be funded with an additional year of a graduate student stipend from the Dean of Humanities. UNICAMP students will be funded by fellowships from CAPES or FAPESP
- each university provides a full tuition waiver
- the dissertation written in language of the home institution and an article-length summary of the major findings of the dissertation will be written in the language of the host institution
- there will be one defense, accepted by both institutions, held at the home institutions that will be attended by five committee members, including the two thesis advisors (one from the host and one from the home institution)
- before the single defense, the article-length summary of the major findings of the dissertation will be presented at the host institution, in the language of the host institution
- an annual Rice-UNICAMP seminar will be held to accompany the dual degree program, and it will rotate between the two institutions
Please see this article for a view of the Dual Degree program from the inside:
Our very first Dual Degree Student >
Rice UNICAMP Dual Degree Executive Summary (PDF) >
Rice UNICAMP Dual Degree Handbook (PDF) >
For more information, please contact us at: DDBrazil@rice.edu.