History Department Faculty Undergraduate Research Assistance (RA) Request
(revised August 24, 2020)
Purpose of undergraduate RA program
The undergraduate RA program has two equally important purposes:
- to provide research assistance to faculty
- to enhance undergraduate student research skills
Students should spend a significant part of their time doing actual research under your direction. Time spent on clerical tasks (e.g., photocopying or scanning, etc.) should be minimal.
Who is eligible for this program?
- the student must have taken or be enrolled in at least two (6 credit hours total) history courses at the time of application
- preference will be given to History majors
- Address your request to the DUS and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 30: Fall semester and/or full academic year RA
- January 15: Spring semester RA
- March 20:Summer RA
Applications may be considered outside of these deadlines in exceptional cases.
- Description of research project and work undergraduate RA would do as part of that project
- Decisions will be based on matches of students to faculty research interests, background and training.
- Faculty requesting an assistant should be able to confirm that they will be available for and committed to mentoring their undergrad assistant for the term of service.
- Requests for travel funds for the Research Assistant may be considered provided that the faculty member also provides some funding.
Rate of pay, maximum hours, and other details
- The rate of pay for undergraduate RAs is $13/hr
- Academic year undergraduate RAs may work a maximum of 12 hours/week and 150 hours total in a semester
- RAs may not work on university holidays or during final exams week.
- During the summer, undergraduate RAs may work full or part time for two months, up to a maximum of 320 hours, as agreed to by both student and faculty mentor and subject.
- Upon completing the assistantship, students will submit a CV and 1-2 page reflection on the experience to the UG Committee. These materials must be submitted within 2 weeks after completing the assistantship.